Friday, February 12, 2010

Touched by Example

Last night I got to cuddle with Peyt on the couch while we were waiting for Tys to get home. He always has so many questions and wants to talk about everything...which I love. Then finally he was getting too tired to stay awake and so I asked if I could hold his hand and he told me "How bout just my thumb" too cute. Anyway, So I sat there holding my little guy and couldn't help but think about the stories that have happened within the past few months of these families losing their little ones just like Peyton and Drew. In the summer and fall, a hayride/tractor accident losing a little guy, another one where a family lost their child while digging a hole for a trampoline, a blog I had recently found about a baby named Grace who only lived 11 months, the two young girls who were taken by an accidental poisioning...and the lucky family who gets to have a 2nd chance with their son even after he was pronounced DOA after drowning in their bathtub at home. Wow...so many tradegies that we can only learn from. I know I have many days where I sit and wonder how I can be a good mom to these boys, when the day is too hard...how do I get through it? But it's stories like these and moments like last night with Peyton that help me to remember it is nothing less than a miracle to even be blessed with them in my life to have the wonderful opportunity to care for them and be their mother. You never know when they could be called back home...so enjoy every minute with them. Like the other parents of those children have said "to hug your little ones a little tighter and give them an extra squeeze...to remember that the little things can wait and to not worry and just take the time to be there with your children." There is always tomorrow for cleaning, dishes, and laundry...but you may not have tomorrow to read them a story, tuck them in their bed, or simply just spend time with them. I am thankful for the examples that have touched me and for the stories shared by these individuals that help me learn and grow as a parent. My heart aches for them, but you can only take the situation and make the best of it for you and your family. So live today and remember to hug your children a little tighter and try living without the regret.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I feel like there are stories of children being lost or almost lost all the time! Sis. Abrams told us during testimony meeting last week that their little girl climbed up onto a shelf and drank a 10 oz. bottle of hand sanitizer and they found her passed out. She almost died of alcohol poisoning. HOW SCARY!!! and what a blessing it was they were able to get her to the hospital in time to help her.

gramma debbie said...

What a touching post Ashlee!! I remember as a mother those moments like they were yesterday and worrying always about my kids! (I know you all probably wondered sometimes)! You as a mother never stop worrying about your kids! Now I cherish those tender moments with the sweetest blessings in my life, my GRANDKIDS!