Saturday, December 17, 2011

Dear Grandpa,

Words cannot express the love I have for you! As I came to visit you tonight, knowing that this would probably be my last goodbye...my eyes filled with tears as I saw you lying on your bed. I was hoping that you weren't in pain as you took each breath. I hope you heard me whisper goodbye...I didn't see my Grandpa leaving us on that bed, instead I imagined each of the times I spent with you at the hospital this last week and remembered the grip you held my hand with and the times you would squeeze my hand back, you opening your eyes to see who your visitors were, asking how my baby was, calling me Emilee and then soon to realize I was Ashlee :), choosing Happy Birthday as your favorite Christmas song for me and my dad to sing for you, but as you did you sang the first word and a half...or tried, Calling me Matts wife and then as matt explained he wasn't married, I finally heard your last "Ohhh?!", watching you try with all your strength to lift the cup to your mouth to have a sip of ice water, watching you receive a priesthood blessing, asking you to smile and you trying so hard, I'm glad I got that little last smile, giving you Peyts painting of the sun to brighten your day and getting a slight laugh/chuckle from you, the image of my dad holding his fathers hand and feeding you ice chips...being the way he could show you he loved you, but most of all hearing you say for the last time that you love me Grandpa. I know you do, and I hope you know how much I love you. I am so sad to see you move on, but more than anything I am so glad you are happy, strong, and having a joyous reunion with those you love on the other side. You were such a fighter. You are so amazing Grandpa! I love you and am going to miss you and that unique sparkle in your eye. Heaven received an amazing angel tonight...
Love,
Ashlee

1 comment:

gramma debbie said...

Such a nice tribute Ash!! I am sure that he loved those little moments and will cherish them always! I too thought of the joyous reunion with his parents and loved ones that he hasn't see for so long! Know of our love for you all!! XXOO Mom